CVHS golf team makes history against Bishop O’Dowd

The Trojans varsity boys golf team won 176-226 against top rival Bishop O’Dowd on March 3 at Monarch Bay Golf Course in San Leandro.

Through the rain and the cold, the golfers beat their previous record by an incredible ten strokes with a 176, 1-over par, overall team score in the first match of the 2022 spring season.

Low medalist for the tournament, junior Jay Saffell, shot a 2-under par 33, followed by a 1-under par 34 by senior Seth Saffell, even par 35 by juniors Carlos Toliver and Leland Tsai, and a 4-over par from senior Anthony Guiomar, led the Trojans to a dominating win. Saffell even managed to score an amazing 2 on the par four third hole with an eagle (2 strokes below par) holeout. 

“It feels incredible to be involved with such an amazing team and setting records alongside my friends is really fun. This match showed our potential for the rest of the season and I think if we keep this up, we can easily win NCS,” said Saffell. 

Trojans managed to accomplish this record without all of their top players; only having six of their top seven boys compete in the roster for the match.

“With all of our top players, we should be able to break this record, even though this record is already pretty incredible for any high school golf team. We have a ton of potential and making NCS should not be a problem. Obviously, we still have to work very hard to keep our games in top shape, but if we can continue to shoot scores like this, we are going to be one of the best teams in the Bay Area,” said Guiomar.

One thought on “CVHS golf team makes history against Bishop O’Dowd

• Giovanni

Golf is an amazing sport. I oftentimes go out to the Redwood Range here in Castro Valley and see the CVHS golf team working hard practicing and competing against other schools. I enjoy hearing that their hard work pays off when they leave their home court and take on another greatly skilled rival. Go Trojans!!