Sports

Jenna’s experience at soccer tryouts

Week 1: Tryouts, rosters out, first practices

High school sports are immensely different from recreational sports. Many people view soccer especially as a men’s sport, believing that girls aren’t strong or fast enough to play it according to society’s standards. But girls bring a whole new diversion into this sport. If you didn’t already know, soccer is a team sport. It’s very rare that you can dribble down the field and transcend every defender. You will most likely need to make a few passing combinations with your teammates. 

This is why girls soccer may even be more interesting to watch at times than boys soccer. Watching a boys soccer game frustrates me because you will see one boy attempting to dribble down the field by himself to take all the glory and only very rarely score. Regardless of how boys play, girls really use each other like the next step to a staircase to build up the play and finish with a bang. 

Throughout the first week of November, CVHS held its girls soccer tryouts consisting of intense conditioning and training. Every night from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., over 40 girls were on the field with their nerves exploding through the roof. One group is stretching, another is passing, everyone trying to keep moving around to impress the coaches. By the next Monday afternoon, the junior varsity and varsity rosters were out. Everyone rushed into the auxiliary gym looking for their school id number on either roster. Many people left with their heads hanging low while others were excited for this hard season to come. 

The first practice on Nov. 9 was a day for coaches to get an overview of their team, justifying that they had made the correct decision with their team. Every girl gives it 110% every practice to prove that they deserve their spot on the team. Each and every one of them sweat every ounce of energy they had during the first practice. 

A few girls, however, made an exceptionally awe-inspiring impression on the coaches and were named captains. Everyone congratulated Taylor Gibbs, Zoie Li, Subhi Karkhi, and Lauren Mac for their extraordinary effort to stand out and succeed.