FeatureSports

Anthony family goes the distance

The Anthony family has had a long standing tradition for running track and field and cross country at CVHS. Donna Anthony, who was a varsity runner for the high school in the 80s, is mother of Jessica, Nicole, and John Anthony. This close-knit family not only runs to keep a tradition alive, but also for the thrill and enjoyment.

Donna ran cross country in high school all four years at CVHS, and earned all league honors and team league championships multiple times.

“The feeling of running can’t be described with using simple words,” she said.

Donna, who graduated in 1987, continues to run and has participated in a variety of sports. In her life she has done a total of 17 triathlons, 3 centuries (100 mile bike rides), and eight half-marathons. Her most recent race was the Nikes Women’s Marathon, which took place in October.

Jessica, who graduated in 2013, competed on the track team. During her time on the team, she qualified for NCS her junior year in high jump. She currently attends Saint Mary’s College of California and competes on the rowing team.

Nicole, a senior, was on the varsity swim team and frosh-soph basketball team in her freshman and sophomore years. When she was considering what sport to stick with, she didn’t have to think twice in order to pick the sports she’s been excelling in all her life: running. Nicole led her team to state cross country championships in her sophomore year, and qualified individually again this year.

Nicole plans on continuing running throughout college, possibly at Cal State Chico, which her mom attended.

“Don’t go where the path may lead, go instead where there’s no path, and leave a trail,” said Nicole as she summed up her thoughts on running.

John, the youngest member of the Anthony family, has just started his first year at CVHS and earned a varsity letter in cross country.

“You never really run because it’s running, you run because of the friends, the trails, and the competition,” he said. John plans to run all four years.

The Anthony kids’ grandmother did her part, too. Kathy Ferrell played softball for CVHS in the 1960s. This family, in total, has earned a total of 17 varsity letters in 19 seasons.

“I love seeing my children follow in the footsteps of the family to compete for CVHS, and it’s amazing to see them achieve their goals,” said Donna.

One thought on “Anthony family goes the distance

• Mike Wallace

Love the story on the Anthonys! What a great family and a wonderful tradition of excellence.