Badminton team, boys golf team may face suspension

As budget cuts continue to affect the CVHS athletics program, the badminton team and the boys golf team may be suspended this school year.

Last year, CVHS asked athletes to pay for their program which the district no longer supports financially. Some teams had a high rate of payment but badminton and boys golf did not.

CVHS has given badminton players until Nov. 30 to raise $3,800 to avoid suspension of their team in 2012. Players and their families are trying to raise the money.

“I would love if people came to our events and helped volunteer.  We also have car washes and bake sales which all help the badminton team,” said sophomore Kelly Chan of the badminton team.

The badminton team plans to raise the money needed by asking for the families of CVHS students to come watch and participate in the badminton and golf matches, and maybe stop by their occasional fundraiser or bake sale.

Last year, out of the 44 people on the badminton team, only six families made the requested donation to the program, leaving a deficit of $10,450.

“But don’t just blame the team,” said Andrew Fox, a member of the badminton team. “We normally get a lot more money from our sponsors, and this year we didn’t. We are $3,800 short, but the team is working hard to keep it going.”

In boys golf, seven out of 12 players donated, leaving the team a $1,625 deficit. The team will face a deadline and a fundraising requirement like the badminton squad, said Athletic Director Andy Popper, though they have not been determined yet.

All sports teams ask for donations and normally receive them, but badminton and boys golf took an especially hard hit.

“It’s up to them,” said Popper. “All the teams pay, they can do it too.”

Although the future for the boys golf and badminton teams looks is uncertain, members of the team feel like they can still make it.

“Last year we had about 48 people on the badminton team,” said Chan. “This year, we have over 100 people wanting to help.”

CVHS began asking for sports donations in the 2009-2010 school year when district support dropped. The school asks for $275 from athletes in sports including badminton and $325 for athletes in sports including golf.

As the badminton and golf teams continue to struggle, they ask for the Castro Valley community to reach out and support them.

“It is as simple as stopping by at one of our games, or sending a small donation,” says Chan. “It’s that easy to keep the teams going, and to help out your community.