Sports

Lack of participation leads to volleyball cut

The CVHS boys volleyball program has been suspended this year due to lack of participation. Low player turnout and complications with personnel contributed to the administration’s decision to put the program on hold.

“There were only about seven or eight active participants. We couldn’t sustain the program based on the number of kids that were out,” explained Athletic Director Andy Popper.

Both varsity and JV teams have been discontinued for the 2011 season. The boys who did show interest in participating this year were disappointed.

“From a player’s perspective, I think it was a bad idea to cut the sport,” said former varsity player Cody Kulka. “Some seniors may have been using it to get to college, and the team could have raised money if there was a budget problem.”

Popper stressed that the suspension did not happen because of budget concerns, and that he hopes the program will be revitalized next year with support from the coaches and administration.

“We need to do a better job attracting kids to the sport. There was a time when boys volleyball was a power at CVHS, and we need to restore it to that status,” said Popper.