HighlightsOpinion

A’s gone, to be forgotten?

When I think of my hometown team, I think of it as somewhat sacred. In the city of Oakland, two other professional sports teams, the Warriors and the Raiders have called Oakland home. However the Warriors were seen as a Bay Area sports team and the Raiders had moved around a lot in decades prior. The A’s were different. They have previously moved from Kansas City and Philadelphia, but since 1968 they have been the Oakland Athletics. 

The team has led the city to three consecutive World Series wins, and provided fans with great storylines for the last 60 years. It will be a sad day for A’s and Giants fans alike to see the great San Francisco vs. Oakland rivalry end with a move from the A’s.

The A’s have still had a pretty good time during my life. Great players have started their careers here like Matt Olson, Marcus Semien, and Matt Chapman, and while all three are no longer on the team they are current superstar players on other teams. The A’s have always relied on the idea of acquiring young talent and developing them into star players and then trading for more prospects. This means almost all teams have a great player they got from the A’s. Great players such as Rickey Henderson and Reggie Jackson traded to the Yankees or Mark McGwire traded to the Cardinals are examples of trades that, while they cost the A’s short term success, lead them into the future with young cheap talent.

The true uniqueness of the A’s comes from how it was done without the spectacle and budget of the other California teams, getting four World Series wins compared to the Giants’ three in their Bay Area years. It’s the reason why I and almost everyone else loved the A’s. The A’s remain relatively liked compared to their company of the most successful MLB teams in terms of World Series wins. 

Maybe the A’s just hold an allure because they’re in my backyard or maybe because people like to root for the underdog, but as long as the A’s stay with their ways I can’t be too mad. The team has provided me with countless hours of entertainment through sports cards, TV, and watching games in person. Even if they move to Las Vegas I can hope that a kid like me in Las Vegas will watch future superstars play, become an invested fan and appreciate the team the way that I do. 

6 thoughts on “A’s gone, to be forgotten?

• Vladimir Berk

I think it is very sad to see the Aś go. I have been going since i was 2 years old. them lleaving is them taking away part of my identity.

• Easten May-Fanene

I think it’s a sad day for Bay Area baseball fans. But I also think this is a good thing for the A’s, they had the lowest attendance in league history and are also the worst team. Getting a new stadium could be their first step to reforming the franchise. At least we still got the best team in the bay, GIANTS.

• I’m sad that the A’s are leaving as that means that oakland doesnt have any more sports teams.

• Diego Anguiano

Im gonna miss the A’s, I used to go to the games when I was younger and it was a good time. Sad to seem my team leave to Las Vegas. I hope that they can stay longer.

• The A’s will be a loss to this community, it will take awhile for them to be forgotten. Though I was unaware that sports teams move around, particularly how often the raiders have, while moving makes more sense than having to start a new brand; sometimes it feels like the fans make the brand.

• Nevin Thomas

i think its sad to see the major sports teams move out of Oakland, and hopefully the A’s can stay while they still have the chance.