EditorialsHighlightsOpinion

Online learning is the best option at the moment

The CVUSD school board decided to extend distance learning until January at the earliest. This decision was met with several mixed feelings, ranging from students excited to continue online school for the rest of the semester to concerned parents who want their children back on campuses as soon as possible. The Olympian supports the decision and agrees that it is best to continue in distance education for the time being.

The most important thing to consider in making such a difficult decision is the safety of all students and staff. Schools began online in August for a reason, because it is not yet safe to return to campuses. While it is true that Alameda County has a smaller number of cases compared to other counties around us, there are not so few that it is safe to go back to in person learning. CVHS alone has thousands of people on campus on a regular school day. When we go back, infections will likely spike again, as they have in other places. There are many districts that have reopened too quickly that have had to go back online within only a few weeks.

By waiting until the flu and cold season and the holidays are over, the school board will be better able to reassess the situation. If many people travel to visit friends and family during the wintertime, there is a higher chance of spreading the virus and infecting others. If sports begin again in December as planned, they can provide a guideline to see what works and what doesn’t in terms of bringing students back to campuses. The long term effects of coronavirus are still unknown, and that’s a risk we will have to think about when we go back to school.

Additionally, by deciding to wait, this will give everyone more time to come up with a good plan for how they’re going to run school when we reopen. Students have just figured out how online school works, but there will be a huge readjustment for everyone once the hybrid model of in-person/online school begins. It might be confusing to have some days in school and some online; it’s better to be completely in person or completely online.

Despite all this, there are some valid reasons for why students should return to in person learning. Several students, especially those in elementary schools, are struggling with online learning at the moment and this could really hurt them in the long run. Also, there are connectivity and wifi issues. Some don’t have a good place at home to focus. Some teachers are struggling to teach and connect with their students, and many also have to split their time with their own kids at home that they need to watch. Perhaps one of the most compelling reasons is the overall concern that especially younger students’ mental health is being affected by the lack of social interaction with peers their age. However, the health of students and staff should be the first priority. People may feel safer about going back to school once there is a vaccine. Until then, The Olympian agrees with the school board that online learning is the best option for the time being.

14 thoughts on “Online learning is the best option at the moment

• Zachary Simonton

I know that this is because some people are just ignorant. The only reason that this form of lonely learning is the best option is because people are just treating this like a hoax and are ignorant of this. Please, everybody, wear your masks if you are not home or on your own property. We can’t have any more people dead to this virus.

• jason

i agree and hope we can go back soon the online classes feel not as imporant and are harder to concentrate in i hope to go back to school soon

• Yanni Tsigaris

I agree that online learning is the best option at this time because it isn’t safe to be back in the classrooms yet.

• Kenya

I definitely agree even though I know a lot of people would love to be able to go back and see their friend etc. It would be still risking not just the students but also others lives considering that COVID-19 cases are still so high.

• Rebecca Ireland

I agree that we should remain with distance learning while Covid is still rampant, and would not be okay risking lives by going back. I also recognize the validity of arguments for returning and would love to return, but only once it is completely safe, with a vaccine for all. At the school board meeting and in the survey, I feel as if the board is not truly listening to students and concerns with going back, even though they are planning to remain online for a couple more months.

• Angelo Santiago

I agree that online school is the best option for us to learn for the time being. Even though I’m not a big fan of it, we have to keep ourselves safe from Covid-19 and slow down the spread.

• Andrew Yang

I agree that distance learning is the best thing for us to do at this time. As covid-19 cases continue to surge all across the country, reopening schools right now would be irresponsible and dangerous to families in CVUSD and beyond.

• Mason Fletcher

I without a doubt agree, Distance learning is the best option for us. I literally have zero ideas about how we could get back on campus with being completely safe. As much as I like school being held on campus, it’s safer for a lot of people like family, school staff, and students to avoid spreading the virus. Along with that, I feel like the transition from online to in-person would be difficult, seeing how a lot of people I asked are starting to get used to online learning. It was hard transitioning into distant learning, and I feel it would be the same the other way around.

• Nikoletta Limnios

I agree that distance learning is the best option for schools right now. It is the best way to keep students, teachers, staff, and families safe. Distance learning helps eliminate potential spread of the corona virus among our school community, and I too believe that it is best that we continue with it.

• Leah Janaway

I agree that continuing distance learning is important. This article highlights the most important reasons why school should remain online, while including valid points in a counterargument.

• Bianca

I agree that distant learning is the best choice because there is a lot of COVID cases right now and going back to school would put not just us at risk but everyone in our family. I would love to go back to school but Heath is more important.

• Tiana Kessee-Johnson

I agree that distance learning is best for now. I would rather reopen slower but safer than rush back when we’re not ready and then have to return back to distance learning.

• Malia Solanki

I agree that distance learning is the best option right now because it is unsafe to go back at the moment, and it would be unreasonable to go back so soon after we have established a successful online school system.

• Alex Tam

I completely agree because although I would love to go back to school and the rest of my senior year be semi-normal, it’s much more important to keep the students, staff, and community safe and healthy.