Michelle Wolf’s Controversial Appearance at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner

Michelle Wolf’s controversial appearance at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on April 28 elicited howls of outrage by many in the mainstream press. Wolf’s monologue took digs at President Donald Trump, his staff, Republicans and Democrats alike.

Her most unusual, perhaps unexpected target, however, was the media itself, particularly corporate media and the news personalities who focus on the latest Trump tweetstorm while ignoring serious issues within the country and abroad.

“There’s a ton of news right now, a lot is going on and we have all these 24-hour news networks and we could be covering everything. But instead we’re covering like three topics: every hour it’s Trump, Russia, Hillary, and a panel of four people who remind you why you don’t go home for Thanksgiving.”

Wolf also discussed how the media helped give Trump a platform and continues to profit off of him through their constant coverage of his candidacy and presidency.

“I think what no one in this room wants to admit is that Trump has helped all of you,” she said. “He couldn’t sell steaks, or vodka, or water, or college, or ties, or Eric. But he has helped you. He has helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster and now you’re profiting off of him.”

While awkward at times given her audience, Wolf’s critique of corporate media is on point. Cable TV personalities were quick to get upset about her supposed sexist remarks about White House Communications Director Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ appearance. However, the closest Wolf came to mentioning her appearance was when she referenced her trademark eye makeup.

“I actually really like Sarah, I think she’s very resourceful. Like she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey-eye. Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies.”

What did these cable pundits expect when they hired a comedian to come in and speak to them? Instead of condemning Wolf for criticizing them, they should look around their city, nation, and the world for important news to report on.

Bringing attention to the immigration problems in this country and the ongoing crisis in Flint, Wolf concluded the night by stating, “Like an immigrant who was brought here by his parents and didn’t do anything wrong, I gotta get outta here, goodnight! Flint still doesn’t have clean water!”