Why take AP classes?

AnnaNguyenThroughout high school, students are vehemently encouraged to take academically rigorous classes, all for the sake of strengthening college applications. We mindlessly sign up for as many advanced classes as possible, filling our schedules with countless honors and AP courses.

In recent years, Advanced Placement (AP) classes have become increasingly popular among high school students. The prospect of earning college credit for a cheap and potentially free cost appeals to many; yet, as enrollment in these courses rapidly increase, the number of students who drop out or fail AP tests grows at an even more alarming rate.

At CVHS, these trends have been reflected in the sharp upsurge of drop outs from various honors and AP programs. Classes in which students had previously thrived now see a lack of qualified students.

The AP program was initially designed by the College Board to nurture the skills of gifted students in a particular subject. But what started out as an enrichment program has become an unofficial prerequisite to selective colleges. Students have started to pile on these advanced classes for the wrong reasons, citing a higher GPA and impressive transcript as their motivation.

Despite warnings from teachers and horror stories from upperclassmen, there remains a relentless pressure to conform to these programs. There is a stigma attached to not taking advanced classes, an undeniable potency that continuously pushes us to pursue AP and Honors courses. Those who consider opting out of these classes may be seen as inferior to their “smarter” counterparts. Many of these undecided students unwillingly go on to take these harder classes out of pressure from friends and family.

These students tend to be less comfortable with the subject, and need more help in the class. Teachers are forced to cover the material with a slower, more general approach. The experience of taking a college-level class becomes less enriching as students are forced to focus on broad concepts rather than develop critical thinking skills. The overall challenge of the college-level class is lowered as the expectations become less demanding.

The lack of interest in certain subjects creates a deficiency of motivation for students. Those taking the class for the GPA boost typically show little interest in the course material, and are less likely to participate in class activities.

Taking an AP or honors course can be one of the most rewarding experiences of a high school career, but when done for trivial reasons, it can only lead to stress, misery, and disappointment.  Like any other activity, enjoying the benefits of an advanced class can only be achieved through passion, dedication, and hard work.

We cannot continue to push students into classes they are neither prepared for nor enjoy. To achieve a desirable classroom environment, individual curriculum should be designed to meet the skills and interests of students. Specialized schedules would promote innovation and growth in a subject, creating future leaders in these fields. After all, excellence in one matter triumphs mediocrity in many.