CampusFeatureNews

CVHS introduces a new dance class

Finding a class that really relates to you or is something you really enjoy can be difficult. However, that problem for a lot of kids, new and experienced, has been solved. Social Studies teacher Britney Brown plans on bringing a dance class for all students to CVHS next year. 

For Brown, dancing has been a big part of her life. “After I graduated, I worked as a freelance professional dancer with dance companies in L.A., San Francisco, and Berlin, and then I decided to become a teacher.” However, when she became a teacher, dancing became difficult to keep up because all her time went to teaching. This class has helped Brown reconnect with that part of herself that had been in the background for a while. 

She got the idea of having a dance class five years ago when she was substituting for other high schools in the Bay Area. Other high schools, including the one Brown went to, had dance classes. This idea of having a dance class was brought to a counselor and grew from there. 

Flyers have been posted around the school with a QR code and a Google Form to fill out. Students who are curious about joining will upload a video of them dancing for Brown to see. This will help her determine their skill level and separate the class into a beginners dance class and an intermediate advanced class. 

“I really want to give students the opportunity to explore their own choreography, making the dances, which at this [high school] age, I didn’t get that much of,” said Brown.

Brown said that this class was really important for her and that she really wants people to see dancing as a form of art and be able to express themselves through dancing. She hopes kids will be able to find their own style of dancing and learn a lot throughout the class. 

“I want them to be able to explore another way to express themselves through movement,” she added. 

Brown also hopes to have at least one showcase next year for the dance class and give students a chance to perform for a crowd or two. The class will take place in the mat room and renovations for that will start in the summer. The dance class will also meet the A-G performing arts credit. 

The google form can be found on Brown’s website and if you’re looking for something new or exciting, this new class is definitely for you.

7 thoughts on “CVHS introduces a new dance class

• having a dance class is a great idea, a lot of other schools have it

• Michael Lac

Having a dance class is really cool. Maybe I’m just not informed enough but this is the first I’ve heard of a school having an actual dance class. Ms. Brown story about going from professional dancer to teacher is really interesting and I want to hear more about that journey now.

• Annelies van Druten

I think this will be a nice addition to the high school’s art department. Self-expression is very important and is shown throughout many artistic students here at CVHS whether its traditional painting, acting, and now more recently dancing. It will be interesting to see how many students are interested in their class. I’m sure Mrs. Brown will be a lovely teacher for this class, and I hope students are able be bold and get creative regardless if they are a beginner or experienced.

• Miranda D

I believe having a dance class at this school is a great idea. Not only is it beneficial physically, but it can also help people get over fears they might have when it comes to being out there and social. This is also great for students who have wanted to take a dance class but don’t have the time or money to do so outside of school.

• anyonamous

i like this and i think we were needed a class like this, a lot of other schools have it and its a great way to bond and get ur art credit

• Ryan Thlang

Though I am sad that I will not be able to experience this class, I’m happy this opportunity is available for future students to be able to comfortably learn some smooth moves in school. I do wonder what styles of dancing is offered in this class and whether more will be added on to the class.

• Dance :0