Bake sale gains good ReSPONse from the community

Cupcakes, cookies, and brownies galore!

ReSPONse club held a bake sale on Nov. 2 and raised an impressive total of $1,356.90. The money will be sent to a school in a remote village in Nagaland, India.

“We raise money to support the school and give the children in Nagaland a chance to get an education,” said co-president Elizabeth Bau.

The name of the club reSPONse itself embodies the main purpose of the club: the capitalized “SPON” stands for “serving the people of Naga.”

Members of reSPONse worked hard preparing for the bake sale, spending the Friday before making goodies such as mouth-watering muffins and classic rice crispy treats.

The following day, reSPONse sold their fruits of their efforts to tired athletes and spectators at the soccer games at Canyon Middle School. The other part of their bake sale took place at Safeway, where shoppers had the chance to buy and eat their delicious baked goods, knowing their money was going towards a good cause.

“I like making a difference and knowing all my hard work and effort is helping a school in India,” said sophomore Janice Yee.

ReSPONse was formed in 2009 to raise money and awareness for the school in Nagaland called Jon Christian English School to give students the opportunity to have an education and a better future. ReSPONse helps keep the school open, which costs about $1,000 per month.

ReSPONse is also planning a trip to visit the school and students this summer.

This was not the first time reSPONse had a bake sale; the group had one last year as well. Members also have other fundraisers, such as carwashes.

“My favorite event that reSPONse has is our 24-hour famine that we have every year,” said co-president Samantha Lee. “We don’t eat anything (just drink juice and water) to help raise money and awareness for world hunger and the school.”

Students interested in joining reSPONse Club and doing their part in helping the people of Nagaland are encouraged to attend their meetings held every Thursday during lunch in room 703.