Climate change: “You are not too young to make a difference”

ACE representative Wen Lee encourages students to help stop climate change. Photo by Amber Yang.
The Alliance for Climate Education (ACE) gave a presentation discussing the issues of climate change and global warming on Thursday, Jan. 17 at CVHS’ Center of the Arts.

According to presenter Wen Lee, 97 percent of climate scientists agrees that global warming has to do with human activities. ACE believes a solution to this urgent problem should be in place.

ACE is an award-winning national non-profit organization dedicated to educating high school students throughout America about the science behind climate change while inspiring them to do something about it. Lee explained how human-caused emissions affect the world’s climate at a concerning rate by showing an easy-to-understand animation and real-life videos about greenhouse gases.

One of the main messages Lee was trying to convey was that students of similar ages were making huge impacts on the environment, as shown in various high schools around California that have taken an extra step to going green or finding alternative ways to generate energy.

“If there’s anything you learn from this presentation, it’s that you are not too young to make a difference,” said Lee.

ACE has a “Do One Thing” (DOT) campaign to help the environment. DOT encourages us to do one thing different in our lives that will help our environment, such as using less water, eating less meat, or recycling more.
“It was fun and interesting to learn about climate change since we don’t always hear about these issues during class,” said senior Brian Shinn.
To  help the fight against climate change, text DOT to 306-44 (text messaging rates apply).