First formal special ed dance to be held at Willow Park

Dust off those dancing shoes and get ready to hit the dance floor! On May 12, students will have an opportunity to dance the night away as an attendee at the first ever formal special ed. dance at Willow Park Restaurant in Castro Valley. This event will be organized by the Leadership class and is set to run from 6-9 p.m.

“We will be serving dinner from six to seven and the dance will end at nine,” stated Emma Hancock, one of the Leadership students in charge of the occasion.

Parents are encouraged not to stay with their children after dropping them off at the dance as special ed. teachers, district personnel, and Leadership will be supervising the entirety of the duration of the event to ensure a safe and fun environment for the students.

When asked why Leadership decided to create the formal dance, Hancock commented, “We held a nonformal dance a couple of months ago and it went really well. We decided to plan a formal one this time to add another element of fun.”

“We also wanted them to have the same opportunity as others to be a part of the student body. We are holding this dance to adjust to their needs because some of the school activities we have don’t exactly fit them,” said Emma Woidtke, another student in charge of running the dance.

The dance comes at a great time too. With the school year coming to a close in a matter of weeks, why not start the celebration a little early by taking a carefree night off to just enjoy high school life with friends minus all of the stress and overwhelming work?

And if the dance is successful, CVHS students might just be seeing more of these social events in future years.

“If it all goes well, we would like to continue having these dances,” said Hancock.