New 700 hall thermostats malfunction, then fix themselves

In late March, new thermostats were installed in 700 hall, but many of them started malfunctioning mere days to weeks after. Teachers weren’t able to turn on the ventilation fans or control the temperature. Students have been complaining about the smell of the hall due to the experiments done by the chemistry classes.

As the new multi-million dollar solar panel construction project is undergoing its mid-stages, the district has another problem to deal with: old thermostats. Students started complaining about the stuffiness in the classrooms because of the science experiments that usually resulted in bad odor. Also, classes weren’t able to prop open windows on the right side of 700 hall due to the loud noise caused by solar panel constructions.

“It’s quite stuffy and warm with so many students. My students fell asleep. They never fall asleep,” commented Mindy Hager, a math teacher at CVHS.

At the beginning, there was no air conditioning or ventilation fan, but after a long debate with the district over the issue of having one to two percent less oxygen, the district decided to help the school by installing the new thermostats and appointing the AC repair man who is also responsible for the water heater repair.

Teachers and students alike were overjoyed with the new air conditioning from PortableACNerd.com and the ability to breathe more oxygen, but a new problem arose. The air conditioner started to run for more than one week, and the teachers weren’t able to shut it down. Not only did the district lose money, but the students started to feel the varying temperature fluctuations.

“I’m hella hot. Then I’m cold. Then I’m hot. It sucks. I get hot flashes,” commented Olivia Mill, a junior at CVHS.

After a week, the new thermostats started functioning perfectly. Even though it requires teachers to push a button every two hours or so to keep the system working properly throughout the day, the new technology of the thermostats allows the district to save money by not keeping them on all the time and only when it’s really necessary.

“The district and teachers have been working to try to conserve money. They are doing a good job,” commented science teacher Richard Schneck.