FeatureSlider

“The Outsiders” makes a rumble on stage

Smoke fills the stage as the burning church roof comes crumbling down. The tense meet between the Socs and Greasers erupts into a brawl. “The Outsiders,” a beloved tale taught to 7th and 8th graders nationwide, comes to CVHS Drama. 

Written in 1983 by S.E Hinton, both actors and stage crew have worked tirelessly into the night in order to bring the story to life. Tech week has been both a stressful week and a blast, as finishing touches are added to the stage. Junior Phoenix Chen notes that the smoke machine is the most outstanding part of the set. “It adds a lot of dynamic and texture to the scene,” said Chen. 

“I think the smoke machine and the church are really great because it gives the illusion that it’s on fire,” agreed sophomore Grace Remick. 

Overall, sets and special effects for “The Outsiders” seem to be on point. “I really like what they’ve done with the kitchen in the house and everything. I think it feels pretty homey, and the back interior of the house is very well designed,” explained junior Alex Witt, who plays Two-Bit in Cast A. “I look at it and I’m like ‘Damn, that’s really impressive.’”

Throughout the week, all students in the production work to juggle the play and school-life balance. Assistant tech director Faith Hudson shared her thoughts. “What are the biggest challenges of tech? Zero sleep, and keeping up with school and everything,” she laughed. “I just hope for the best, power through and hope my teachers understand.”

Other challenges revolve around the actors as well. Senior Alexis Dones, who plays Sandy in Cast B shared her experience. “The biggest challenge for me is probably because I’m not only an actor, but also in hair and makeup,” said Dones. “So making the makeup look authentic but natural is probably our biggest thing.”

Despite all these challenges, everyone has a good word to say about the CVHS Drama Department. “What makes drama fun is all the people part of it. I’ve been doing drama for four years and you make a lot of friends along the way,” said Dones. “Anytime you turn around, someone’s doing something random, so that’s probably the best part.”

Others echo the rewarding experience and invite others to join. “I think it’s the community and the close set of people in tech. It’s really really nice and I feel like it’s really welcoming,” said Chen. 

“If you ever feel the urge, just give it a try,” said Witt. “I mean, I’m not in drama, I’m a band kid, and I still gave it a shot joining this production. What’s the worst that could happen?”

The CVHS Drama production is excited to present “The Outsiders” on March 15, 16, 22, and 23 at 7 p.m each night.

3 thoughts on ““The Outsiders” makes a rumble on stage

• I enjoy this review a lot because, we get to see different activities that students get to participate in. I think this was a great performance and I can’t wait to see what the drama department will do next year.

• alyssa chen

This was a great show performed by the theater department and I can’t wait to see future shows

• Jimmy Hanson

Seems like fun! Lots of interesting people and ideas going on in these. Might try getting into drama and musicals in a couple years.