FeatureVideo

CVHS music programs delight at annual MPS fundraiser

The CVHS orchestra, band, and choir programs joined the annual Castro Valley Music Parent Society Fundraiser alongside middle school programs on Feb. 9. The fundraiser aimed to raise money for future years. Previously known as the “Spaghetti Feed,” the fundraiser now serves burritos during the event. 

“I’m not really a burrito eater, so I’m a little sad about it… but I honestly don’t care,” said junior Allie Otteson. 

Other students were more disappointed about the catering switch.

“I think spaghetti is better,” commented junior Kyle Jordan, who believed that spaghetti encouraged more of a sit-down dinner with friends. “I did enjoy my burrito; it was very good, but I think we should go back to spaghetti.”

For some Canyon Middle School alumni, returning to the middle school campus for the night also proved to be an interesting and odd experience.

“It does feel a little weird because it [seems] a little smaller,” said freshman Oliver Clay.

All three students enjoyed highlights of their respective performances.  

“My favorite part of my set for vocal ensemble was definitely the cool bass line which was super fun,” reflected Jordan. “For band, we have a really cool part that we have during the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean,’ and I’m really happy in orchestra because we have a really awesome bass trombone part.”

Both Otteson and Clay had solos during their performances. Otteson’s favorite piece out of the choir set was “Singkap Siaga.”

“I love it, because to me it’s so ‘war battle,’” said Otteson. “It really does emphasize my duet with Doris, so that’s always really fun.”

Clay also agreed that his band solo was fun to perform: “I was actually told I had the solo this morning,” he added.

Students noticed the impact of COVID-19 in event organization differences from previous years. 

“I think it’s well organized, but maybe it will be organized a bit better with so many kids now,” Otteson explained. “There used to be so many back then, so we’re getting back to more kids joining [the programs].”

Overall, the fundraiser was a success, with enjoyable food and music showcased successfully throughout the evening.

“People should definitely come to spaghetti feed next year,” said Jordan. “It’s a pretty cool event.”

One thought on “CVHS music programs delight at annual MPS fundraiser

• alyssa chen

I think it was a great opportunity to raise money for the performing arts program as well as encourage inspiring middle schoolers! #shannanchanbestwriterperiod