FeatureSlider

Costumed characters compete at annual contest

Ghosts, ghouls, and spooky spirits! CVHS held its annual Halloween costume contest in the quad during lunch on Tuesday, Oct. 31. As spirited costume-wearers roamed throughout campus, only three would win the 2023 costume contest.

From costumes from Wonderland to beloved villains such as the Joker, one may wonder how long it took for such elaborate costumes to come to be. 

“I’m the Hatbox Ghost from the Haunted Mansion and I’m really happy about the win,” said winner Mason Jordan, who spent two months on his costume and is an editor for The Olympian. “The hardest part was probably making the wig into the hat and dyeing all the different pieces. Every piece of this costume is from a different kind of thing. It’s all DIY so it’s just really fun to see it all come together.”

Other participants spent less time on their costumes.

“I’m Wybie from Coraline,” explained senior Anthony Kleinschmidt. “I spent five hours randomly last night making this last minute because I wanted a costume for school.”

Kleinschmidt also noted the challenges for his costume, stating that the mask was the most difficult to acquire, but was happy with the results of the contest.

“I think the people who won deserved to win, because their costumes were really good, especially Mason’s,” he said.

Underclassmen at CVHS participated in this year’s costume contest as well, such as sophomores Kallie Jackson and Dominique Green, who were Jessica Rabbit from “Looney Tunes” and Freddy Krueger from “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” respectively.

“It was good, I liked it,” said Jackson, when asked about how she felt about the results. “I liked Alice in Wonderland [costumes].”

Green also explained how her costume came to be: “The makeup took a long time, it took like almost an hour and a half. I woke up at four in the morning,” she said.

When asked what part of her costume was the hardest to acquire, Jackson responded, “Probably the gloves, I even dyed my hair more red for it to look like Jessica Rabbit.”

The top three winners were the Hatbox Ghost (Mason Jordan), Scorpion from Mortal Kombat (David So), a group costume including The Queen of Hearts, Mad Hatter, Alice, and The Cheshire Cat (Riley Ramirez, Nora Layne, Zhenia Rocha and Sofia Myers). Edgar Allen Poe also won as a bonus teacher win (Aaron Dennis).

Alice in Wonderland wins together as a group. Photo by Shannan Chan

2 thoughts on “Costumed characters compete at annual contest

• Annelies van Druten

This costume contest is always so amazing to watch and even participate in. It brings a lot of students together to have fun and really admire everyone’s costumes. You get to see everyone’s creativity, hard work, and unique ideas that go into their costumes. Congrats to everyone who won and a wonderful job to everyone who participated. What a great way to have everyone come together as a school.

• Mason Jordan

I love that we are given the opportunity to have a Halloween contest and bring the celebration to school. Nice coverage of the event!