JLU club: educating people on Latin culture

High school is full of opportunities to get involved in productive activities with your peers and with your community. Most of these opportunities can be experienced through our various clubs at CVHS, including the newly formed club Jovenes Latinos Unidos (JLU).

JLU is a club that not only provides students with the experience of community service and college exploration, but is also a club that educates members about Latin heritage and culture though entertaining and enlightening activities. The club will be participating in volunteer work at places like the Oakland Zoo and at a museum for Dia de Los Muertos.

Members of this club are really excited to participate in all these events that will get them in touch with their community and their background. It’s a great way for students to learn more about themselves and others.

The club is also very close knit because students are able to connect with students with backgrounds and lifestyles similar to their own. The club members learn that with every ethnicity there will be stereotypes, but as a team they work together to break down that stereotypical wall and let their culture shine.

“It is about breaking stereotypes, helping our community, and expressing our culture,” commented vice president Nangha Cuadros about the club.

JLU is a wonderful and fun experience, and it is off to a great start. If you’re in need of a club that will elevate your confidence, allow you to make bonds with new people, or put a little Latin spice in your school experience Jovenes Latinos Unidos is a great club to join. Everyone is welcomed.