“Dia de los Muertes” honors those who have passed

Ever heard of Dia de los Muertos? Ever seen altars up or seen sugar skulls being sold? Maybe you’ve heard of it in Spanish class or even from a friend who was required to do a project because of Dia de los Muertos.

This Mexican celebration, translated to “Day of the Dead,” starts midnight of Oct. 31, and continues into Nov. 2. Day of the Dead isn’t a day where people go out and scare others as it might be like to you for Halloween, but it is more of a celebration of life and reminiscing of those who have passed.

“I do this every year to celebrate cultural diversity that students can relate to. I think exploring cultures through arts and crafts is very valuable way of learning,” says Jennifer Jervis, ceramics teacher.

There is a lot of work that goes into Day of the Dead. It’s not simply about remembering those who have passed, it’s about honoring them. To honor the dead, people make altars at home and decorate them with numerous items.

The signature decoration of Day of the Dead is the sugar skull. The skulls are decorated with bight colors and names and are placed on the altars. The altars are often decorated with bright orange cempazuchitles, also known as marigold flowers.

The family usually puts up pictures of those who have passed and prepares their favorite meals to place on the altars as well.

It is believed that on Nov. 2, the spirits of the dead come back to their homes as they are lured back home by the smell of the food they miss and by the sweet smell of the marigolds. There are often paths made out of marigold petals placed by the family leading into houses, to guide the spirits on their way.

The Day of the Dead celebrations usually end at a cemetery where families feast on food, place fresh flowers on graves, and pray for their loved ones.

Jervis’ ceramics students are doing their own celebrations of Day of the Dead. In the class, it’s an annual tradition. The ceramics students are asked to make a skull honoring someone dead they know of who is either a friend, family member, or a celebrity. The decorations on the skulls are supposed to represent the people who have passed in some way and to, in general, honor their lives. The skulls are going to be displayed in the main office and the CFA for students to admire.

Jervis isn’t the only one celebrating Day of the Dead. Spanish teacher Becky Maciel’s classes are also celebrating.

“I believe it is important, especially for people in the United States, to start looking at death as more of a celebration of life,” says Maciel.

On Nov. 2, everyone should take a minute out of their busy lives and remember those who have passed. Take a little out of the Mexican culture and learn to celebrate and appreciate a person’s life instead of mourning their passing.