Feature

CVHS students direct “A Very Potter Musical”

Harry Potter fans flocked to Faith Ringgold School where A Very Potter Musical, a parody of the Harry Potter series, was performed from March 16 to 18.

A Very Potter Musical was directed by CVHS students Jessica Ellis and Andrea Partridge.

The production was a long time coming.

“I was asked to be a part of the production last December as an ensemble member and it was my first show, so I became very attached to it. We were shut down a few days before opening last June and that was devastating. So Andrea Partridge and I agreed that we couldn’t let the project die, so we decided to put it on ourselves. I grew up on Harry Potter, so A Very Potter Musical was really a dream for me,” said Ellis.

A Very Potter Musical begins with Harry Potter and his friends excited for their next school year at Hogwarts. Their year starts with a bang when Professor Quirrell explains the House Cup Tournament, a competition between the four Houses in Hogwarts―Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, Cho Chang, and Cedric Diggory are chosen as the four champions who will represent their respective houses. Unbeknownst to the students, the House Cup Tournament is actually a plot devised by Professor Quirrell and Lord Voldemort to kill Harry Potter.

Besides the House Cup Tournament, other drama brews for the students. Harry Potter tries to win the affections of Cho Chang, whose heart already belongs to Cedric Diggory. Harry Potter’s one-sided love is paralleled by Ginny Weasley’s crush on Harry. Meanwhile, both Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy try to reconcile their feelings for Hermione Granger.

The comedy and drama that takes place in A Very Potter Musical makes for a fantastic show. The cast and crew are hoping to stage a revival of the production because of the overwhelming success they had with the show (every single show was sold out).

“Keep your ears open for a possible revival,” said Ellis.