Netflix’s newest Korean drama will leave you wanting to visit the beach

Waves roll as Yoon Hye Jin (Shin Min Ah) solemnly looks out at the horizon. She walks along the beach barefoot when she realizes that she had suddenly lost her shoes! As she is frantically searching for her expensive shiny heels, a surfer walks up to her and hands her one of her heels. 

“I’m truly thankful, but have you seen the other shoe?…Since you’ve already found this, could you help me find the other shoe?” she asks. 

He looks at her and sighs. “I guess there have always been people like you. If not, our ancestors would have never come up with the saying, ‘Save a person from drowning and they’ll ask for your belongings.’” 

Based on the 2004 movie “Mr. Hong,” “Hometown-Cha-Cha-Cha” is a TvN romantic comedy that airs on Saturdays and Sundays. The drama is directed by Yoo Je Won, who also directed popular dramas like “Abyss,” “Oh My Ghost,” and “Tomorrow With You.” Its ratings reached number one in the country for its time slot at only its first episode. “Hometown-Cha-Cha-Cha”’ ratings continue to rise as the drama enters its fifth and sixth episodes. 

Shin Min Ah plays the intelligent and righteous dentist Yoon Hye Jin that got fired after revealing that her boss was overtreating a patient in order to earn more money. After moving to a rural seaside village called Gongjin, she meets Hong Du Shik (Kim Seon Ho). Hong Du Shik is a freelancer with dozens of certifications ranging from barista to real estate agent. He is known to the villagers as Chief Hong.

Kim Seon Ho, who plays Hong Du Shik has recently gained stardom after his portrayal of Han Ji Pyeong in 2020 K-Drama “Start Up.” Although he played the second lead, his character won many hearts with his cold yet tender personality. 

“Hometown-Cha-Cha-Cha” is a relaxed opposites-attract romantic comedy that will leave you laughing your head off or contemplating your relationships with others. The drama utilizes its seaside setting to bring the viewer marvelous views and an idea of life by the ocean. It’s the perfect drama to get your mind off of things on the weekend.

“Hometown-Cha-Cha-Cha” comes out on Netflix weekly on Saturdays and Sundays at 7 a.m. Pacific Time.