Entertainment

Anna Karenina scandalous plot captivates the audience

url

Anna Karenina, directed by Joe Wright, is a British film based on the Russian novel by Leo Tolstoy.  It received many award nominations and prizes this year, including an Oscar for Best Costume Design. Wright’s genius sets the audience up for an incredible ride and surprises at every corner.

Set in Imperial Russia, the main character Anna Karenina is a married socialite who does not know what love truly feels like.  When she meets the charismatic Count Vronsky on a trip to Moscow, she is entranced by his presence.  Their shocking affair becomes the talk of society and Anna has to pick between doing what she wants, and doing what others, including her husband, expect of her.

The beauty behind Anna Karenina is not just in the scandalous plot, but behind the scenes, which are actually displayed on screen.  A train station is on a stage.  An ice rink is where the audience should be sitting.  The clever and magical transformations between scenes will enchant anyone that watches closely.  Wright visualizes the story in a completely different way than it has ever been done before.  Anna Karenina is a true work of art, a masterpiece of film.  I give much kudos and applause to Joe Wright.

As easy as the movie is on the eyes, story-wise, it can be difficult to understand without being familiar with the plot of the original novel.  I suggest doing some research on the story before heading to the theaters.  Personally, I read the Wikipedia page for the novel twice before I watched the movie.

Anna Karenina is rated R for sexual scenes and violence. I give this movie 4 stars out of 5, and recommend it to all lovers of history, art, and creation.  This movie is perfect for the ones who enjoy seeing something different, with unique details, and elaborate outfits.