Automated tardy phone calls put students on edge

Since the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the CVHS administration has sent out automated calls home for tardies. According to the administration, these phone calls are designed to be a useful tool for parents to be more connected with their children’s attendance.

“I think the phone calls home is a good idea because it allows parents to be more involved with their students’ challenges in school,” said science teacher Deborah Yager.

Once the phone call is picked up, the automated calls relate information about the students’  tardies from that day.

While staff members find the phone calls home a great idea, some students disapprove of this new system.

“Sometimes we don’t have enough time to get to class,” explained sophomore Cassidy Rubino. “I try not to be tardy, but sometimes I have to walk all the way across campus just to get to my class that’s in the 400 hall.”

Junior Thien Huynh agrees and dislikes the system for the same reasons. Huynh believes that it puts students who are rarely late or try not to be late under the bus with their parents if they were to get a call home from school.

“I dislike this system because I have to put away the resources used to support the Urbanize Dance Club after lunch, which causes me to sometimes be tardy due to interference with other students,” Huynh said.

Assistant Principal Matthew Steinecke supports the system and says it is a great way to help students do better in their classes.

“I think it’s cool anytime the school reaches out to parents,” Steinecke said.

Statistics from the attendance office show that students’ attendances have improved since the administration started these automatic calls.

From Aug. 10, 2010 through Dec.10, 2010, there were a total of 26,238 tardies from all class periods. But from the beginning of this school year, Aug. 11, 2011 through Dec. 11, 2011, there were 16,734 tardies total, a total of 9,504 fewer tardies from the 2010/2011 school year.

The automatic messages were implemented to not only help parents be more aware of their child’s attendance, but to also benefit their children’s education.

“Attendance can lead to academic success,” said Steineke.