SliderSports

Girls volleyball seniors sent off in massive win

The CVHS varsity girls volleyball team took down Bishop O’Dowd on Oct. 18 with a final score of 3 sets to 1.

This big win also happened on Senior Night, where six seniors were honored: Lauren Au, Lauren Seiji, Avery Bland, Sofia Ortiz, Bela Schirado, and Kate Hinrichsen.

“This is huge for us. This is the first season we’ve beaten O’Dowd since 2004. And we haven’t been a league champ since 2002, so our win tonight really accomplished both of these things,” said coach Maggie del Grande.

“It’s beyond words that I can’t explain, it’s just a really good feeling and I just want to keep it,” said Schirado.

The Trojans clawed their way to the win in the first set with a score of 25-21. After losing a hard-fought second set with a score of 17-25, they dominated the third set, winning 25-15. To close the game out, CVHS overcame a seven-point deficit to put away the Dragons with a score of 25-21, in an explosion of cheers.

Despite the game being in honor of the seniors, it was sophomore Tessa Smith who took the spotlight of the game, recording 15 kills and making the crowd go wild all game.

“It feels pretty good to be the instigator of the energy and that always makes me feel good when people are getting excited,” said Smith.

With this win, the Trojans move up to a record of 10-1, with an additional win locking in their spot as league champions, along with a chance to host a playoff game.

“It’s a really, really, really great win to happen on a senior night where our seniors get to be rewarded. It’s such a big game that they’re gonna remember forever,” said del Grande.

Since then, CVHS beat Alameda, officially becoming league champions.

One thought on “Girls volleyball seniors sent off in massive win

• Scott Baldwin

It’s exciting to win on your senior night, especially against a tough opponent. I’m so glad I was there to watch, it was such a well-fought match. Super excited that they became league champions!