FeatureSports

Star goalkeeper Kundert is “a natural leader”

It is nearing the end of the hard-fought girls soccer game against Arroyo High, and a shot soars toward the Trojans’ goal. Goalie Brooke Kundert dives for the ball and hits it into the crossbar. For a heart-stopping moment, the ball bounces directly on the line between in and out of the goal, then Kundert smacks the ball away. The score remains: 2-1, Trojans. 

“I wanted to show my team that someone believed in them and in our success,” said Kundert when asked about her save. “I felt like I was doing my job as their teammate.” 

Soccer is a huge part of Kundert’s life. She has had a soccer ball at her feet—and in her hands—for 11 years. She made varsity as a freshman at CVHS, and she’s been there ever since. Now, in addition to defending the goal, Kundert is a team captain. 

“Brooke is a natural leader who constantly leads by example,” said Coach Vanessa Amaral. “All around she is a great kid. Brooke brings with her to every practice and game positive, good vibes, and her teammates feed off that energy. As a coach, you can’t ask for much more.”

Kundert works with goalie coach Juan Escalante on specific drills for diving and catching, and participates in team drills as well. She’s well-respected among the coaches and players because she is constantly giving the game her all. 

Amaral has nothing but positive things to say about Kundert. “She consistently during pre-game, halftime, and post-game team talks creates a presence and a voice to where she positively holds her teammates and herself accountable,” she said. “She has come up with some amazing saves in games for our team. When we needed Brooke to step up and make a save to either hold a lead or keep us in the game, she’s been there, which in turn encourages her teammates to work twice as hard on the field.”

Despite her love for the game, Kundert’s favorite part of being on the team is the connections it has led her to make with her teammates.

“Soccer has given me friendships that will forever be incredibly important to me, along with giving me goals to work for and ways to stay fit,” Kundert said. “My favorite thing about it is the bonds it has helped me build with new people—people I probably wouldn’t have interacted with if it hadn’t been for soccer.”