Trojans come close to winning league championship

The CVHS varsity football team battled Berkeley High School for the WACC Foothill League championship title on Friday Nov. 2. Unfortunately the Trojans lost 15-13 due to a missed field goal to finish off the game. However, the Trojans did not give up without a fight, playing exceptionally well and giving it their all until the very end.

Castro Valley started the game off on a bright note when junior Demareyeh Lane scored a three yard touchdown in the first quarter, making the score 6-0. To top off a great first quarter, senior Ben Atkinson recovered a fumble by Berkeley, turning the ball over to Castro Valley.

During the second quarter, Berkeley scored its first touchdown, but senior Luke Huerta, the Trojans’ quarterback, made a 17 yard run. This was followed by a touchdown by Trojan’s kicker Kevin Galvan, making the score 13-6. Seniors Nick Lerschen, Hunter Huffaker and Trevor Trammell commanded the field with their defense.

When the fourth quarter started the score remained 13-9, with Trojans in the lead. Unfortunately for Castro Valley, with 1:29 left in the game, Berkeley made a three yard touchdown, making the final score of the game 15-13.

“We wanted this win so badly, but now we just have to keep our heads up and prepare for our next game,” said Huerta.

The year’s Trojans came closer to winning a league championships than they have in years. Castro Valley lost its first NCS game against Amador Valley High School which finished out their season.