Sports

Girls track and field claims second place at HAAL finals

CVHS track and field girls claimed second place at HAAL finals on Saturday May 12.

Bishop O’Dowd was first with 145 points, followed by CVHS in second with 110 points, and San Leandro with 72 points.

The heat failed to stop CVHS from gaining points in the various field events.  Alysia Baker threw 21 feet 4 inches for third place in the girls frosh-soph shot put.

Aurora Bailey jumped 4 feet 2 inches to get second in the girls varsity high jump. Jessica Ferraris vaulted 7 feet 6 inches to place second in the girls varsity pole vault along with Monica Gamez who also vaulted 7 feet 6 inches.

Asiah Carson jumped 15 feet 2 inches for first place in the girls frosh-soph long jump along with Stephanie Hill who jumped 14 feet 1 inch for second, and Tessa Piccillo who jumped 14 feet for third.

Kennedy Jones jumped 17 feet for second place in the girls varsity long jump, along with Kaori Nguyen who jumped 16 feet 1 inch for third place.

Jones also jumped 35 feet in the girls varsity triple jump for second place, along with Jazmine Edwards who jumped 32 feet 8 inches for third place.

The first event of the day was the 4×100-meter relay. CVHS took first in the girls frosh-soph 4×100-meter race with a time of 52.24 seconds with runners Hill, Brijhe Pointer, Carson, and Stephanie Coates.

In the girls varsity 4×100-meter race, CVHS took second with a time of 50.20 seconds and runners Maya Chissell, Tatiana Misco, Jones, and Kristin Elam.

Katherine Embody took first with a time of 5 minutes 46 seconds in the girls frosh-soph 1600-meter race alongside Emma Armstrong who got second with a time of 5 minutes 49 seconds.

Nicole Anthony placed third in the girls varsity 1600-meter race with a time of 5 minutes and 27 seconds.

Hill won first in the girls frosh-soph 100-meter hurdle race with a time of 17.68 seconds, followed closely by Stephanie Inn who got second with a time of 17.97 seconds

Jones placed second in the girls varsity 100-meter hurdle race with a time of 15.13 seconds.

Pointer placed second in the girls frosh-soph 400 meter race with a time of 61.37 seconds.

Miranda Nild placed third in the girls varsity 400-meter race with a time of 60.26 seconds.

Sadly CVHS did not place in the top three for either the frosh-soph or varsity division of the 100-meter race.

Embody took first place in the girls frosh-soph 800-meter race with a time of 2 minutes 34 seconds.

Nild took first in the girls varsity 300-meter hurdle race with a time of 47.56 seconds.

Coates placed second in the girls frosh-soph 200-meter race with a time of 27.76 seconds, and was hotly pursued by Pointer who placed third with a time of 27.88 seconds.

Armstrong took first in the girls frosh-soph 3200 meter race with a time of 13 minutes 2 seconds.

In the last event, the 4×400-meter relay, CVHS took first in the girls frosh-soph division with a time of 4 minutes 30.36 seconds with runners Inn, Piccillo, Coates, and Pointer.