Cross country faces defeat at HAAL championships

Both the CVHS boys and girls varsity cross country teams were defeated this year at the HAAL championships. The Bishop O’Dowd boys and girls teams won both titles and qualified for the state championships. One runner from CVHS, Nicole Anthony, qualified for state.

“We were surprised,” said Anthony, “but we are building our way up, so we will beat O’Dowd next year.”

O’Dowd won the girls competition with a score of 25. Arroyo High School came in second with 41, and CVHS came in third with 59. Anthony placed second in the race with a time of 19:10, and Alex Embody came in tenth with a time of 19:58.

O’Dowd also won the boys competition with a score of 32, with CVHS coming in second with 66. Matt Eva came in fourth with a time of 16:02, and Carter Mackey placed eighth with a time of 16:19.

Although the cross country team was disappointed with the outcome of the season, freshman Mackey was a welcome addition.

“Mackey is really good; he is our number three guy,” said Anthony.

“We lost a lot of good runners last year,” said Anthony. “That’s one of the reasons [both teams] had trouble this year.”

Next year, Anthony vows that she, Mackey, and the rest of the boys and girls cross country teams will be able to slay the Dragons and continue to the state championships.