Voc/Tech requirements unnecessary

For the longest time, I thought that I had met all of the CVHS graduation requirements. Looking at my most recent transcript, I was able to see that I had met all of the necessary academic requirements (such as English, mathematics, second language, etc.), except for one little thing: Vocational/Technical Theater.

Because of this requirement, my whole schedule had to be rearranged at the inconvenience of my counselor and teachers. Consequently, I had to have countless meetings with my Senior House Counselor, Michael Byer, whom I am extremely grateful for, in order to rearrange my schedule to meet the needed Voc/Tech requirements.
Before you begin to assume that I am merely complaining because I have to take an extra class, I would like to say that I am all for the continuation of the Voc/Tech curriculum. To take my point even further, I would go as far as even saying that I have come to enjoy the class that I was placed in to meet the Voc/Tech Requirements.
There are many great classes such as woodshop, auto, photography, and other programs that allow many students to further pursue their interests and hone their various skills. But that’s the main issue that I would like to point out. Many is the key word here.

Not all students have that similar interest in taking photography or technical theater and would rather pursue courses that might better assist them in higher education. This year, many seniors have been forced to take Voc/Tech classes at the expense of other courses, just to simply graduate high school.

Furthermore, not a single university within the state of California (UCs, CSUs, and other colleges) even requires students to take a “Voc/Tech” class in order to get accepted. If both the State Board of Education and California’s major universities/colleges don’t require a Voc/Tech class, why bother making it mandatory?

Making Voc/Tech a mandatory requirement is extremely unfair for many students who wish to pursue other things in their high school careers. What purpose does it serve to force an unnecessary requirement upon students? To Castro Valley’s Board of Education, continue the Voc/Tech Program for those who want it, but do not make it mandatory for every single student that attends CVHS.