CVHS drivers scramble as parking evaporates

CVHS student drivers have been scrambling around the school area to find parking spots since a multi-million dollar solar panel project began in the school parking lots. A new rule prohibiting student parking on campus increased the number of tickets issued.

Students in CVHS have violated parking rules, such as blocking driveways or parking in areas where there are no parking signs.  Two students who got their cars towed were fined $400 for blocking driveways in Mabel and Maria avenues. Another ten students got tickets for parking on campus without a permit.

However, those who were lucky enough to not be caught in the clutches of the ticket monster have to face other problems, namely the long and slow traffic.

“I think I’m fortunate that I have zero period because I always get parking, but there’s a lot more traffic in the morning and after school than there was before,” commented Sarah Kim, a junior.

The county and staff have been working together to try to improve this parking situation by “bagging” some signs and allowing some cars to be parked in an otherwise “no parking” zone. Some students have resorted to walking to school, waking up early, or carpooling to make it to school on time.

“It is not a crisis, merely an inconvenience. We try to stay ahead and work with the students,” said Assistant Principal Matt Steinecke.

A couple of years back, the same problem arose with the construction of the stadium, but instead of the three-month construction of the solar panels that would be completed in mid to late may, the stadium took a whole year to build. Therefore, the staff members are more than prepared this year to accommodate a parking problem into their schedules since they already know what to do and expect.

Steinecke tries to help parents and students by updating the school website with new information on the construction of the solar panels. Students can check out the school website at www.castrovalleyhigh.org to plan ahead.