FeatureSlider

Red Cross Club keeps members engaged with fun activities and learning opportunities

Have you done any fun activities during quarantine? If you have been sitting in front of your screen all day due to distance learning, you should definitely participate in the November Hunt that the American Red Cross (ARC) Club planned! 

The ARC club is a community service club that offers many volunteer opportunities for students, such as setting up for the Castro Valley Light Parade and Fall Festival and helping out in food banks. However, due to the pandemic, there are less volunteering events. 

“I like the club because it gives me a greater outreach to our community,” said senior Christine Xu, the club president.

To keep members engaged, the ARC club works hard to find interesting events. This month, they set up the November Hunt, which is a list of daily activities, such as finding a pile of leaves and jumping into it, making a pillow fort and watching a show inside, and drawing a hand turkey. The activities on the list are all simple things that members can finish while having fun.

“Our main goal for this event is to have people take some time off from the screens and get up to do stuff. For example, one of the activities on the list is to do a workout,” Xu explained. 

If members completed a certain amount of events, they get prizes, such as stickers, Thanksgiving-themed gift bags, and a chance to win a gift card. They will also get volunteer hours. The deadline for submission was the end of November. 

Even though it is difficult to host community service events, the ARC still tries to find ways to give back to the community.

“I really enjoy working with the board members to come up with new events for the club,” said junior Ashley Huang, one of the committee chairs of the club.

The officers and members made cards for blood donors and blood center workers the past week. They are looking forward to planning more events and keep the members intrigued. Other events that they have done are an international humanitarian law movie night and a study hour with peers. A future event they plan to do is a virtual escape room to educate peers about fire safety. If you are interested in joining the club, please check out their website at https://sites.google.com/view/cvhs-arc/home.

2 thoughts on “Red Cross Club keeps members engaged with fun activities and learning opportunities

• Christine Xu

I am so incredibly proud of everyone that engaged in this activity and I hope all clubs continue to encourage members to go outside and get some fresh air.

• I think it is such a great idea that the club came up with. Very thrilling and engaging!