“Little Mermaid” succeeds as a live-action film

The well known redhead, Princess Ariel finds herself battling an evil half-woman half-octopus in the middle of the ocean! This all started because “The Little Mermaid” dreams of a life beyond the sea. What most encouraged her to live on the surface was the love of her life, Prince Eric. 

Due to her hopes to one day have legs, the princess makes a bad deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula. The deal had required her to give up her voice for three days in order to live on land for the same amount of time.

With the help of her animal friends, Ariel is able to live out her dreams on land and help her overcome her obstacles. With adventure, music and so much more, “The Little Mermaid” is a must watch.

This new movie, starring Halle Bailey, is a live action version of the 1989 animated film starring Jodi Benson. With fun cameos of Benson and references to the former movie, the new film was bound for success.

Although there was some controversy as to why Bailey should play the lead role of  Ariel, they had picked an amazing choice. Songs such as “Part of your World,” sung by Bailey,  had really touched audiences who watched. On the note of success, within the first five days of the movie premiering, 16 million people nation-wide had watched the film.  

With 2023’s new technology, the movie’s graphics and computer-generated imagery (CGI) have really improved. Comparing the old technology to the new, the animals look almost real. Additionally, the mermaid herself is also different from the past movie. Since she is half-human and half-fish, the tail had also used new technology to make Bailey look more realistic. 

Throughout the film the differences from the original movie have been a little harder to find other than the new songs. Audiences appreciated the lyric change from the song, “Kiss the Girl.” The 1989 version of the original song did not represent asking for consent using words such as, “It don’t take a word, not a single word. Go on and kiss the girl.”  Whereas the new song has lyrics that represent asking for consent with words like, “Use your words, boy, and ask her. If the time is right and the time is tonight, go on and kiss the girl.” 

If you enjoy movies with new tech, new songs, lots of laughs and lots of adventure, “The Little Mermaid,” is the movie for you.