Tina Fey Strikes Again

In early March, Netflix came out with its own original series, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, written by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock.

This original series is about Kimmy escaping an apocalypse cult in Indiana and moving to New York City. She was kept in a bunker for 15 years with three other women thinking that the world had ended, and they were the only survivors. Once they’re rescued, they all must learn to adapt to the modern world.

As Kimmy goes into New York, she has no idea what she is doing, where she is going, or who she wants to be. She accepts to room with Titus, an aspiring Broadway actor who makes money by being a character in Times Square and can barely make ends meet.

The series follows Kimmy’s life as she adjusts to modern day New York, rooms with Titus, and gets a job.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is one of the funniest series I’ve seen in a while. As if being written by Tina Fey wasn’t enough to get me interested in it, the storyline itself is truly out there.

Kimmy is a bright, funny, childish, and upbeat character that can make you smile with her outdated style, her positive outlook on life, her nervous laugh, and her unbreakable personality.

The series has characters of many races, and many people have criticized the series for making jokes about stereotypes of Vietnamese immigrants, Native Americans, and African Americans. While the show glosses over many serious topics, the jokes are extremely witty and sheds light to topics that should be talked about. Tina Fey and Robert Carlock set a platform for these serious topics to be talked about and laughed about on the series.

Despite the criticism that the show has received I admire the cleverness behind the jokes and truly enjoy laughing at Kimmy’s misunderstanding of the modern world through her eighth grade education perspective.

Kimmy finds funny ways to deal with things and makes interesting connections between problems and solutions that inspire the people around her. Kimmy has an interesting outlook on the life around her. When in the bunker, she explains to her new friends, that she lived her life in ten second parts because, “You can get through anything for ten seconds.”

With the funny characters, clever jokes, and interesting storyline Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt leaves you wanting more. It’s easy to not only get through ten seconds of the show, but it’s easy to get through ten episodes, and eventually the first whole season (which is only 13 episodes)!