SliderSports

Marching band season ripples away

Under the bright stadium lights, CVHS Marching Band and Guard performed their show “Ripple Effect” for an electric crowd at their final competition of the 2022 season on Nov. 12. 

“We left it on the field, showcas[ing] all our hard work that you know we’ve been doing for the past three months: all our time, sweat, and tears,” said senior and bassline captain Daphne Theodore.

Everyone was in sync; color guard added flares of color and vibrancy to the show, while drum majors and percussion batteries tossed in time to each other keeping everyone in lock. 

Even though the tides didn’t carry in a win at the Western Band Association regional championship, students in the marching band were exuberant to have the opportunity to participate in the competition. 

Sophomore baritone Kiyoshi Sato agreed: “We’ve been working really hard all season and we put on [our] best.”

Emotions ran high all day beginning with the last practice of the year including a senior run and final dismissal. 

“I am very touched. I’m very thankful for the time that I’ve had with these kids. I’m sad, you know, it’s ending but I know that next year and future years when I’m gone everyone’s going to do so amazing,” Theodore reminisced.

“Color guard was very in tune with ourselves,” reflected senior color guard member Adreanna Dones. “I think this was the first performance out of four or five that I actually smiled the whole time.” 

Color guard and marching band’s energy and enthusiasm radiated off the field.

Senior clarinetist Colin Leung said, there was “a lot of energy on the field” and “it’s kind of bittersweet. I really liked this activity a lot. But I’m gonna miss it.” 

One common message came from all members: “join marching band.”