Cheesy holiday movies add to holiday spirit

Every December, it seems my family completely forgets we have channels besides the Hallmark Channel, because it’s all that plays the entire month. If you’ve spent any time watching these movies, you’ll soon notice they are all exactly the same: a busy business woman reluctantly returns to her small hometown for the holidays, where she falls in love with her childhood friend who owns a small business, who is way more attractive than she remembers. In the end she quits her big city life for the man and small town life.

The creativity in these films can be shown in their titles like, “Christmas at Castle Hart,“ “Christmas in Tahoe” and “Christmas By Chance.”

I’ve always wondered why they keep making these movies, but after spending possibly hundreds of hours of my life watching these movies, I get why they keep making them. I personally really enjoy watching these movies every year. I get excited to see what the newest Hallmark original is going to be. In all my favorite Christmas memories, there is always one of these movies playing in the background. 

Despite how often these movies are made fun of, they really are a staple of the season. Even though they follow the same plot every year, they always bring new laughs to my family and others. I think the simplicity of the films makes them easy to jump into, even if you haven’t been paying full attention because of holiday cooking or catching up with family. The bad quality and overused storylines of these films only add to the holiday spirit of the season. 

One thought on “Cheesy holiday movies add to holiday spirit

• Thanks for showing these cheesy movies some love. There’s something really lovely about returning to a story you kind of already know the ending to, but you watch anyways because it brings this kind of familiar comfort.