NewsSlider

Car crash devastates the Castro Valley community

With every death that hits our school, we are left with a constant reminder to appreciate each moment with the people we care about. Sadly, the death of four young adults, two of whom once attended CVHS, has left people devastated and treasuring the memories and moments spent with them.

Steven MacFadden,19, Alejandro Rodriguez, 20, Megan Wall, 17, and Rose Bio, 16, were killed in a rollover crash the night of Sep. 20 in French Camp. During a high speed chase, MacFadden lost control of the vehicle, the car rolled over and all four passengers perished.

MacFadden attended CVHS from 2011-12 and transferred to Redwood High School, later graduating from Brenkwitz High School. Over 200 people were present at his memorial, and teachers from all the schools he attended reached out to send their sympathy.

“Steven was a very bright young man who always participated authentically in my class activities,” said Principal Blaine Torpey, who was once MacFadden’s teacher at Redwood. “He was respected by his peers and we always had fun in class. Steven was one of the few students who thought my jokes were funny!”

Bio attended CVHS from 2013-14 and transferred to Lathrop High School. She was described as a hard worker in her classes and a genuine student with fierce loyalty.

“Rose was always quiet in class, but when she smiled or spoke, it was the real deal,” said Spanish teacher Kelli Schiller. “When I think about her, in my mind’s eye, I can see Rose smiling that sincere, sweet smile.”

Many pictures and condolences were shared on social media for the victims, expressing sympathy to their family and sending messages of compassion and support.

“Rose was one of the funniest people I ever knew and she knew how to make me laugh when she knew I was upset,” said junior Lexi O’Gorman, Bio’s friend.

Memorial services were held for Bio and MacFadden. Family and friends said goodbye still in disbelief, unable to comprehend the loss of so many young lives. The deaths triggered sadness and memories of other recent losses that impacted the students here at CVHS.

“Steven was loved and admired by so many,” said his mother Gina MacFadden. ”He was the most kind hearted person I knew. Our lives will never be the same without him in this world.”

The victims’ parents shared the pain of losing a child and the grief that everyone experiences after hearing about the loss of someone who was loved.

“We love her dearly and miss her every moment of every day,” said Bio’s mother Patti DeAngelis.

Remembrance of the time spent together comforts family and friends as the reality of loss for the ones they loved takes hold.

4 thoughts on “Car crash devastates the Castro Valley community

• Mike Jones

I am a friend of Rose’s Mom Patti and I met her and thought she was very nice. As a writer myself I just want to say this was very well written with the thoughtfulness and tenderness a terrible time like this calls for and you should be applauded. I feel I know the kids better and you had some very y nice quotes. Congratulations for being a fine writer.

• Patti DeAngelis

Beautifully Re-Written, THANK YOU Mia Babasyan!! #RosesForever #StevensWorld

• Patti DeAngelis

Hi I am Rose’s mom, thank you for writing all these nice things about my daughter. We love her dearly and miss her every moment of every day. Please note that she did not transfer to Redwood, she left CVHS to go to Lathrop High SchooL.

• patricia martinez

I’m one of Rose’s . that day before i was trying to get her a job. My cousin Alejandro Rodriguez was in the car with her . she knew him . i got a phone Call at work hearing it . i broke down i was looking on Instagram and i seen rose picture saying rip i broke down even more . because my boss told me to tell her to come in . its about to be 2 months since you guys been gone. till we meet again .