News

Trump’s revision of gas mileage standards causes controversy

The Trump administration announced a reduction on mileage-per-gallon fuel standards for cars and other vehicles. These regulations put in during the Obama-era set standards for the amount and type of exhaust that cars could release and required cars and trucks to get 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

Trump’s administration believes the Obama standards are too stringent and unfair to car manufacturers, despite saving money for consumers at the pump.

“The Obama administration’s determination was wrong,” said Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency.

However, many environmental groups are against the proposed idea to remove the existing gas mileage standards. The current standards have been proven to save consumers money on gas and will lead to increased prices if they get repealed. In addition, the burning of more gasoline will put people’s health at risk.

Despite making plans to revise the current gas mileage standards, the Republican Party has made no effort to put in a new plan to regulate the fuel standards for vehicles.

This can be seen as yet another example of the Trump administration repealing Obama-Era policies, such as the Obama administration rule protecting funding for Planned Parenthood and other organizations, as well as the president pulling the country out of the Paris Climate Agreement.

The main source of resistance to this proposition is the numerous environmental groups, who predict increased greenhouse gas emissions and more gas consumption if the standards become relaxed.

Cutting fuel efficiency regulations would result in detrimental effects on people’s health and increase the damage taking place on our environment from carbon dioxide. The U.S. government should be taking steps to reduce this nation’s footprint, but instead is planning to continue and worsen the damage.