NewsUncategorized

CVHS adds new Small Learning Community for tech savvy students

CVHS will be adding a new Small Learning Community (SLC), the Information and Communication Technologies Academy (ICT), to its campus starting in the 2015-2016 school year. ICT will prepare students for career pathways in the booming technology industry.

Like the two other SLCs currently offered to CVHS students (the Drama, Art and Design Academy and the Health and Biotechnology Academy), ICT is highly specialized and focused on creating a tight-knit community of dedicated learners. It is designed for those interested in pursuing a career having to do with information and communication, technology, and other related fields.

Because the information and communication technology industry is fast-growing and offers high wages, ICT is expected to be extremely popular. Unfortunately, this valuable SLC is only available to incoming freshmen.

ICT students will be grouped by English class, and will have several required courses including Introduction to Computer and Information, Technology/Web Page Design, CISCO Advanced Information Technology and AP Computer Science/Internet engineering.

In their ICT focused English classes, students will have the opportunity to integrate more technology into their learning experience, participate in ICT themed field trips, and undertake technology-based assignments.

CISCO, an ICT industry giant, designed the course CISCO Advanced Information Technology that all ICT students must take in their sophomore year. It is meant to give students experience with the tools and programs they will be using once they enter a career involving advanced technology.

“[ICT] will make you more prepared for a job in the computer world, and it prepares you for ICT and networking CISCO certification,” said counselor Jesus Rivera. “This lets students get a job in technology right after high school.”

Preparation for CISCO certification  is a very unique opportunity for high school students. It is a well-recognized certification in the world of technology and makes students employable immediately after they graduate. It also gives students a unique edge when applying to college.

ICT prepares students for a wide range of careers including analyst programmer, chief information officer, technical sales representative, web developer, and database systems administrator. Because modern technology is now flooding all career paths, ICT is also beneficial to students looking at careers in the fields of marketing, entertainment, financial services, fashion, engineering, and many more.