Uncategorized

Trojans edge Rebels for first football win

Thanks to Mickey Cardoze’s record-breaking performance, the light shined on the Castro Valley Trojans at their home opener as they earned their first win for the season against the San Lorenzo Rebels on Oct. 8, 17-16.

Cardoze, a tailback, rushed the ball 43 times for 211 yards, surpassing the previous team record of 41 caries. His efforts helped ensure the victory over the Rebels.

The series of momentum changes, interceptions, and the blocking of field goal attempts all made this game exciting. The Trojan linemen played consistently throughout, and their determination and focus helped them accomplish their goal. David Valladares, Forest Ferguson and Victor Quintana were just a few of the well performing athletes on the field.

Quarterback Cris Chavez completed two out of eight attempts, both having impressive yardage. The extra point attempt by the Rebels in the fourth quarter was blocked by Anthony Viveiros, making the score 17-16.

“Win, lose or draw, I love my guys,” said head coach Nicholas McMaster. “There are 3,000 students on campus and less than one percent play football at all three levels.  It takes a special type of person to go through the grind day after day from offseason through the season.  It is especially difficult when the team doesn’t come up with the wins it wants.
“My guys keep coming back though,” he said. “They’re awesome.  They are a bunch of work-horses.  There is no amount of self-respect greater than what CVHS football players have for themselves and this is what drives us on a daily basis.  We will keep getting better as a team because we are willing to put the work in individually.”