Jets Shoot Down Trojans in Homecoming

The Trojans varsity football team faced off against the Encinal Jets in the highly anticipated Homecoming game on Friday,  Sept. 28. Getting off to a rough start, Trojans conceded the first touchdown of the game after a punt return.

With a score of 7-0 in favor of the Jets, the Trojans become determined to get back in the game. Four minutes before the end of the first quarter, running back Payton Morgan made a touchdown run for his team. The first quarter ended with a tied score of 7-7.

Well into the second quarter the Trojans recovered a punt at the second yard line to stop their opponents from scoring. Morgan kicked a field goal to get the Trojans their first lead of the game seven minutes into the first half with a score of 10-7.

Unfortunately, the Encinal Jets had a 29 yard pass to get them a touchdown with four minutes until halftime. Encinal then scored again before the end of the second quarter. The first half ended with the Jets leading 22-10.

Encinal got the upper hand in the third quarter, returning the Trojans’ kickoff with a touchdown. The Jets scored two more touchdowns in the third quarter, leaving the score 42-10. Six minutes into the last quarter, the Jets further solidified their lead with another touchdown.

Despite being down 39 points with less than two minutes to go, the Trojans refused to give in. Less than a minute to go until the end of the game, running back Tyree Simmons made a touchdown run, leaving the final score at 49-17.

“We worked really hard, we really played our butts off in the first half,” said Morgan.

Morgan played his last Homecoming game as a Trojan and like many of his senior colleagues, he had an emotional game.

“Being a senior I got four games left, so all I’m going to do is leave it all out there, that’s all I got,” said Morgan. “We just got to get ready for next week.”