SliderSports

Trojans take a tough loss against Pirates during homecoming game

The CVHS varsity football team’s homecoming spirit was brought to a halt as the San Leandro Pirates beat them by a score of 41 to 0.

The Trojans kept it a tight game the first half, keeping the score 13-0 Pirates through the start of the third quarter.

However, halfway through the third, the Pirates started emphasizing a strong rush offense that was tough to beat.  Five of the six Pirate touchdowns were scored off of rush plays, three from senior veteran Omari Land.

“They executed well, played physical, and kept a momentum throughout the whole game,” said Trojan head coach Denny Molzen. “There were plays we needed to capitalize on, and we need to be more disciplined.”

Despite having a strong defense in the first half of the game, it slowly fell due to the aggressive Pirates rush offense, who sought out to make quick work of the Trojans’ mistakes.  

“They capitalized on our mistakes, and we didn’t capitalize on theirs,” said senior Tyler Nunnery after the game.

“We came out in the second half and just didn’t put the effort in that we could’ve,” said senior Nasir Hunt. “we just need to work on everything.”

Though things may seem bleak for the Trojans now, they still have their big rivalry game against the O’Dowd Dragons on October 14.