Trojans walk off to win

Christian Merriweather prepares to swing during an intense game. Photo by Jes Smith.
Christian Merriweather prepares to swing during an intense game.
Photo by Jes Smith.

The CVHS varsity baseball team split its two game series versus the Berkeley High Yellow Jackets in late April. The team played two very exciting and thrilling games, losing 3-2 in the bottom of the seventh inning in the first game, then winning 5-4 in 11 innings on April 24 at home.

In the first game, the Trojans rallied from a 2-0 deficit to score two runs in the seventh, on a Cody Sandall steal of home and a clutch two-out RBI by Joe Welliver, only to see Berkeley score the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.

At CVHS, on a cold, blustery and cloudy day, the Trojans battled again for 11 innings, leading them to a thrilling victory. Castro Valley wasted little time scoring a run in the first inning when Christian Merriweather scored on a fielder’s choice. The Trojans plated another run in the third inning, only to see Berkeley erupt for a four-run fourth inning, taking the lead.

In the bottom of the sixth the Trojans went to work. Shortstop London Penland led off with a long double, then catcher Justin Cabral followed with a single, Penland advanced to third, Cabral quickly swiped second base, and then right fielder Robbie Brue smoked a double down the left field line, tying the score.

Ryan Rosellini, in relief of starter Nick Simsek, threw seven strong shutout innings leading to the bottom of the eleventh. Left fielder Jake Petersen stepped up to the plate, and on the first pitch crushed a 320-foot bomb over the left field fence, sending his teammates and the faithful crowd into a wild celebration.
Coach Randy Green said this game was “huge” in his team’s quest to get into the playoffs and NCS.