He will be Berry missed

Brian Berry

After nine years coaching the CVHS swim team, Brian Berry has decided to move on and pursue a different career.

Berry’s passion for swimming and coaching is, and will always be, well-known and respected. Throughout his seven years as head coach, he strived to create a strong, cohesive, and competitive team, and undoubtedly did so. With Berry as a head coach, the team has had 82 wins, only one loss, and one tie, in all the seasons’ dual meets.

After considering this difficult decision for a few years, Berry has officially made up his mind. Swimming and coaching have been a big part of his life during these past nine years, but he feels that it is in his best interest to move forward in his career and search for a full-time job.  Coaching two swim teams, CVHS and the Chabot Marlins, substituting at CVHS, teaching at the adult school, and working as a property manager, all at the same time has become overwhelming in recent years. He hopes to find a permanent job in facilities management, or as an advisor at a private college.

Berry feels that his experience at CVHS was wonderful, and he very much enjoyed being a part of the community where he grew up.

His favorite part of coaching the CVHS swim team was the league championships. He’d look forward to seeing all his swimmers cheer each other on, win races, set and achieve goal times, but most importantly he loved being able to see the tremendous effort the team put in all season long pay off.

“I’d say the thing I’ll miss the most are the relationships and day to day interactions with the swimmers,” said Berry.

He had a strong bond with the entire team, and never favored any swimmer over another.

“Coach Brian is the best coach I’ve ever had. We had many fun times and many hard sets, but he was always there for us with a smile. I wish him the best of luck with the rest of his career,” stated senior Correll Maley.

Berry will be greatly missed by current and former swimmers and families. He was always a dedicated, approachable, passionate, and goofy swim coach.