Castro Valley races to success

Photo taken by Danika Newlin
Photo taken by Danika Newlin

Hard work brought the CVHS cross country teams to the WACC championship meet on Nov. 4 at Hayward High. Twelve schools from the Shoreline and Foothill divisions attended to compete.

Senior Emma Armstrong was the fastest Castro Valley girl from the varsity team. She finished the three-mile course with a time of 19:06.41 in fourth place. Sarah Fung also finished in 11th place with a stunning time of 19:30.83, leaving competitors in the dust.

The Trojans had an overall finish of fourth place to Piedmont, Bishop O’Dowd, and Alameda, and the girls team will race in the NCS championships on Nov. 22.

The varsity boys team didn’t finish as well, but the runners’ determination was shown all throughout the race.

Senior Carter Mackey was neck and neck with three Bishop O’Dowd runners the entire race but was not able to pass them when they came upon the finish line.

He finished strong ending up in fourth place with a final time of 15:37.11. The final placement of the boys team was sadly, eighth, but still beating Hayward and Encinal. Mackey and his teammates will also race in the NCS championships at Hayward High.

The JV girls finished first behind Jessica Yin, who finished second overall. The frosh soph girls took second behind top finisher Kristen Sun.

Though the varsity teams didn’t make the top scores, the team as a whole made several wins throughout the season with incredibly fast individual and team scores. As the cross country season comes to a close, the teams should be proud of themselves for the amount of dedication they put into their workouts and races.