Trojan swimmers slay the Dragons

Photo by Alison Dhont
Junior Shelby Averil dives into the pool. Photo by Alison Dhont.

The Trojan swim teams slayed the Bishop O’Dowd Dragons on March 20.

The swim meet was held at our very own CVHS swimming pool and Trojans swam their hardest.

Before the meet, CVHS swim coach Brian Berry talked about what he expected from his team.

“I am confident that the team will perform very well today,” said Berry.

Castro Valley’s Tony Kawaguchi pumped up his teammates before the meet started with a great spectacle of ripping the head off of a small dragon dog toy. The show must have worked because the Trojans performed flawlessly.

“I feel great. It always feels good to beat O’Dowd,” said Berry. “It is still very early in the season and we still have some stuff to work on, but overall, we performed very well.”

The final scores proved Berry is doing something right. The varsity boys team won 122-48, and the varsity girls team won, 100-70. Junior varsity boys won by 127- 36 and junior varsity girls won by 131-39.

Every day, the swim teams spend long, grueling hours to prepare for their matches. After all the conditioning and practices, the hard work pays off.

“I am very confident that we will win first at WACC championships at the end of the swim season,” commented junior Sarah Yi on the teams’ progress. “So far, we haven’t lost a meet and I’m expecting this winning streak to continue for the rest of the season!”

Come watch the Trojan swim teams practice after school on Wednesdays at the CVHS pool!