Trojans tearing through NCS tournament

The Trojans have won two hard-fought postseason games so far.
With two hard-fought wins in the postseason so far, the Trojans’ varsity girls soccer team has reached the NCS tournament semifinals.

“When we won our first game, we were all ecstatic! It’s like all the work we have put in finally pays off, and that’s the best feeling ever,” junior Anushka Singh said.

For a majority of the first game against Dougherty Valley, neither team scored. But even with the brutal cold wind and lacking their usual “mojo,” the girls never gave up.

Coaches, parents, friends, and teammates gathered to cheer the girls on. It looked like their support and cheers fueled the girls to push on through, because right in the last 30 seconds of the game, Jazzy Edwards scored with an assist from Mariah Ford.

The Trojans’ 1-0 win advanced the girls to the second round of the NCS tournament. The second win did not come easily, either. Although CVHS scored early in the first half, Freedom High School came back in the second half to tie up the game with a penalty kick.

The remainder of the game was a race for the game-winning goal. Freedom brought a physical game to CVHS, and tripping and falling was seen throughout. Ironically, this turned to the Trojans’ advantage. Late in the second half, Freedom was called four times for tripping. This led to a penalty kick for the Trojans. The goal, made by Emma Spears, was the deciding goal.

The Trojans kept up a tough defense that lasted until the end of the game, giving CVHS an ecstatic victory of 2-1.

“The game was very intense,” said Miranda Nilds, a starting sophomore on the team. “Freedom brought out a physical game and we had to match up. It took a while for us to get to playing our potential.”

The Trojans have now won 20 games this season and will play San Ramon Valley on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Wolves are undefeated.

“The feeling of going to semifinals is incredible. We have worked so hard to get to this point and now that we’re here we are ready to play our best,” said Nild.