Sports

CVHS girls tennis team defeats Arroyo Dons six to one

The girls varsity tennis team is off and running. The girls won all of their games in the league thus far with a recent defeat of the Arroyo Dons on Sept. 25, with an overall score of six to one.

The Trojans played with three doubles and four single teams, and all but one single won their match.

Doubles Janelle Breedlove and Juliet Fong won their sets 6-1 and 6-0. Michelle Ly and Caroline Yu won with 6-4 and 6-1. The final doubles team Connie Lau and Katherine Gaudinier won with 6-0 and 6-2.

Breedlove, a senior, is co-captain with fellow senior, Melissa Young.

“We did really well. I don’t usually play doubles, but it was a pretty easy win, and only a couple matches were hard,” said Breedlove.

Young won her singles match 6-0 and 6-0. Kristen Shak won, 6-3 and 6-2. Madison Lambert came close to a win with 3-6 and 4-6.

“It’s great, the girls are fantastic,” said co-head coach Greg Lowe of the Trojans’ win.

This is Lowe’s first year as co-head coach along with Steve Argyres. However, he was assistant coach for three years, so he’s familiar with CVHS and the tennis team.

So far the girls varsity tennis team has a great standing in the league with this added win. Before this game, they beat Mt. Eden High, Alameda High and San Leandro High.