Track team sprints to HAAL success

The CVHS boys varsity track team won the HAAL finals on May 14, as did the frosh-soph girls. The girls varsity and boys frosh-soph teams claimed second place finishes.

“We choked the life out of them,” said Dooney Jones, head track coach who won HAAL coach of the year.
Kelsey Santisteban started off the carnage with a a time of 5:13 for a 1,600-meter race that was far ahead of second place. Ben Eversole followed by running a 4:30 1,600-meter race, just barely taking first. Alex Foster won the 400-meter race by churning out a 50.04 second lap. Kwame Hudson, the Trojans’ top hurdler, took third in the 300-meter hurdle race with a time of 42.99 seconds. Anthony Martore made the 800-meter race look easy by cruising a 1:57 to win.
“Nothing much,” Martore remarked after hearing hearing his time.

BriAnna Miller sailed 17 feet and 6 inches to win the long jump. Towards the end of the meet it looked like the Trojans might win girls varsity.

“We’re nine points away. I’m so nervous,” said a jumpy Miller. In the end though, Castro Valley lost by one point.

“Pain,” said sophomore Brandon Arias describing his two-mile race. “It was deadly. I felt like I was going to die. I crossed the finish line flopping and laid down on the grass.”

Almost all of the events were conducted in nearly 50-degree weather. Still, the Trojans made CVHS proud.