Tournament tantalizes tennis team

The Trojan boys tennis team proved victorious in the HAAL singles & doubles tournament April 29-30.  The tournament showcased all of the best singles players and doubles players throughout the entire league.

CVHS singles players Miguel Diaz and Jensen Pawid won first and second places respectively.  This was quite an accomplishment because each school could send a maximum of only two players.  The victory earned Diaz the opportunity to represent CVHS as a singles player in NCS.

Doubles players David Carter and James Lau lost in the second round to San Lorenzo, while Derrick Wong and Jason Wong lost a three-set thriller in the finals to Bishop O’Dowd.  The match was a hard fought tie-breaker but eventually ended in defeat for the Trojan boys.

“They lost to a team that could play,” explained coach David Roth-Rossi.  “It happens.  You can’t win ‘em all.”

RothRossi was pleased with the results of the tournament, proudly stating, “The last time I saw a group of men more ready for battle was when I led my squadron onto the beaches of Normandy.”

Overall, the tournament proved CVHS’s ability to dominate the tennis courts.  Such impressive statistics are no surprise considering that the boys tennis team went undefeated with a 14-0 record this season.