Sports

Trojans slay Dragons for league title

The Trojans held on to their undefeated league record by slaying the Bishop O’Dowd Dragons in their last game of the HAAL season on Feb. 17 with a final score of 67-51. This is the first time the boys have been undefeated, and only the fourth time the varsity team has won a league championship.

“I think the players did a great job of getting themselves mentally prepared to play against BOD. We have a senior dominant team so they get themselves prepared and pumped up before games,” said head coach Nick Jones.

This game was a close one from the start, but during the third and fourth quarters the Trojans came alive and racked up some clutch, momentum shifting shots. The Trojans scored 29 points within the fourth quarter, pulling ahead to defeat the Dragons. Of the 67 total points scored, senior Roderick Bobbitt scored 26 of them. Other dominant senior Juan Anderson was the second highest scorer with a total of 17 points.

“Great honor and accomplishment to go undefeated in league. The players did all the work and deserve all the credit,” said Jones.

Although the Trojans were behind two points after the close of the first quarter, they pulled themselves together and played to win.

“When we started pulling ahead I was excited for the players and school” commented Jones. Players and all coaches were visibly excited on the court, screaming and smiling whenever shots were made. The celebration by the Trojan Den really made the night more exciting, with cheers, signs and lots of shouting to pump up the players and the crowd.